Thursday, August 30, 2012

Roasted Tomato-Basil Soup

In my previous posts I have mentioned my best friend Pinterest. Today, I would like to introduce you to the love of my life; My crock-pot <3

My Roasted Tomato-Basil soup is an all time favorite around our place. So much in fact, that in the middle of summer, in Texas, I still get requests for my soup.

With that being said, I have decided to share my beloved recipe with you, and your families.  You're welcome! 

This recipe makes 6 servings.
Prep time: 10 to 15 minutes.
Cook time: 8 1/2 hours on low or 4 1/2 hours on high

What you will need :

  • 2 cans (28ounces each) peeled whole tomatoes,drained and save the liquid (makes for 3cups)
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar 
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 3 tablespoons tomato paste 
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1 can (5ounces) evaporated milk
  • 1/4 cup shredded FRESH basil
  • salt and pepper, to taste 
                                                   
 
Drain the tomatoes, save the liquid ( 3cups)

        Preheat your oven to 450F. Line a baking sheet with foil; spray it with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange your tomatoes on foil in lines. Sprinkle your tomatoes with brown sugar and top it with the onion. Bake about 30 minutes or until tomatoes look dry and light brown. Let tomatoes cool slightly; finely chop tomatoes. 

        Place the tomato mixture, the liquid you saved from the tomatoes, broth, tomato paste and allspice in your Crock-pot slow cooker (a.k.a love of my life).  Mix well. Cover; cook on low 8 hours or on high 4 hours.  

        Add the evaporated milk and basil; season with salt and pepper. Cover; cook on high 30 minutes.

Enjoy!! If there are any leftovers, I like to put the rest in a decorated mason jar, and surprise someone with a delicious dinner.

Let me know how it turns out for you!!


No comments:

Post a Comment